Friday, December 24, 2010

Welcome, 2011!

It's Christmas Eve and I realize it's time for me to write that year-end review I do and, overwhelmed, struggle to find where to start. 2010 has been a busy and interesting year for me, but as always I had such fun and am grateful for every experience.

I began the year in New York, helping out on the "Salt" reshoots over the holidays and through January. By February I was in Las Vegas, Nevada, with my sister and my dad, celebrating Kerry's 21st birthday and my quarter-century mark. I hit up Long Beach, California, for a superbowl party and watched the Saints WIN! I served my jury duty in my hometown, Santa Clarita, California, then returned to Gulf Shores, Alabama (via road trip, of course).

As spring washed up on our white sand beaches, I balanced 2 serving/bartending jobs while also writing freelance. During this time little sister and I still managed to find time to ride our bikes to the beach and go swimming, or do a little wakeboarding with the boys (thanks Todd and Craig!). We went to the annual Mullet Toss at the FloraBama, attended several concerts, and had some killer tans.

Then, the Deepwater Horizon oil spill reached our shores.

For all of those who live on the Gulf Coast and in the surrounding states, this was not simply a news story that came and went with new accusatory headlines. This meant utter, unstoppable disaster, the complete destruction of our economy, our environment...our home. As I have mentioned previously, I was quite involved in the prevention and recovery effort down here, first attending meetings with the mayor in preparation, then taking my hazmat course and exam so I could volunteer with the cleanup, then as a vigilante volunteer with my rebel family when volunteers were, after all, denied work due to liability, then as a wildlife observer aka turtle person, which finally allowed me to have a truly productive role that provided the fulfillment that comes with assisting the beach environment and its native and most fragile inhabitants. I was a ghost in these days, working from 9pm-7am, and still trying to juggle my other jobs, which, one by one, I eventually let go as the tourism trickled away. I'll give credit where credit is due, however, and I can honestly say I think BP did the best they could to help, given the circumstances (except for that issue with, you know, capping the leak). I did not file a claim, but other members of my family did and the financial compensation seemed fair. They granted the city a generous allowance for reparation efforts, which led to a tourism boost due to several concerts hosted by the city and some very generous musicians including Jimmy Buffett, Bon Jovi, and Brad Paisley. Cleanup efforts are ongoing in Gulf Shores even now, and I want to thank all my friends across the US and the world that showed and continue to show such great support of our very special situation here on the Gulf of Mexico.

As for me, as the sea turtle nesting season was winding down, I was offered a job with the special effects crew of the film "Battleship" to be released in 2012. I spent 10 weeks working very long hours in a small trailer as an office coordinator and assistant purchaser on the island of Oahu, Hawaii.
On my few off days I got to do a little exploration of this incredible island, from Waikiki beach where I resided, to Kualoa ranch, to Sunset Beach on the North shore where anyone reading this is welcome to buy me a house at any point in time. I somehow found time to get my advanced SCUBA certification (that's me flashing the peace sign at 110 feet below the surface of the Pacific!), do a little snorkeling, and learn how to paddle surf, for which I often sacrificed the skin on my knees, the wind in my lungs, and my pride. I stayed surrounded by turtles whether I was breathing through a regulator or paddling on the surface of the sea, which you can imagine made me endlessly happy. My mother and my sister also came out for a much-too-short visit, during which we drank painkillers on a catamaran, snorkeled with the turtles, attended a luau, and carefully worked on our tans by the pool(s). I really loved Hawaii, but my plans to stay there forever unfortunately did not work out. Still, I enjoyed searching for my Aloha and I think of that warm, clear water and its incredible secrets nearly every day, and I SCUBA dive through the lava tubes and wrecks, with the fish, the sharks, and the turtles, in my dreams.

Just after I arrived back in Gulf Shores, my mom left to attend to her mother, whose alzheimer's disease has reached the advanced stages, in Gravenhurst, her hometown in Canada. I quickly followed by car, and we got to enjoy a winter of the snowy and freezing variety. Justin, Jamie, and my nephew Landen (now walking all over the place!) flew in for an early Christmas celebration with my grandfather. I also got to meet all kinds of family I never knew I had: my great aunt and uncle and endless 2nd and 3rd cousins. I felt quite at home at their holiday party, and saw a lot of real evidence that I actually am related to these crazy canuks.

Now I am home for Christmas for the first time in 3 years, and couldn't be happier to spend time with my parents and my AWESOME siblings (though Alex wins the Sibling Of The Year award because he LIKES to play apples to apples with his sister). I've also gotten to reunite with some old friends, which has been a BLAST.

A few miscellaneous and exciting points from 2010:

I went skydiving. TWICE. Once with my mom and my BFF Britiney (who was on leave from Korea as she is now a combat medic in the army), and once with my mom, Kerry, Howard (who was on leave from Afghanistan), Alex, and Alex's girlfriend Bree. What an awesome feeling, the rapid free fall and then the graceful sinking. I think I might be a little addicted to that adrenaline rush.

The Hangout and the city of Gulf Shores hosted its first annual and largely successful Hangout Music Festival, which was held despite the oil on the beaches. It was really fun!

Mom, Kerry, and I attended the Sweet Potato Queens convention in Jackson, Mississippi, in March. Along with my Auntie Moonpie, we chose our swords and corsets over our tiaras and ball gowns. We took that city by storm. Keep an eye out for more pictures around March of 2011, as we have already made reservations to make a repeat performance of rum-sloshing and sword-fighting. You can't deny we're the cutest girl-pirates ever.

Kerry and I attended our first NFL game with our dad. WHO DAT! Our Saints won, of course, against the Seahawks. Watching an indoor game is pretty awesome, especially with the vibrant and ecstatic crowd that is the Saints fan collective. That same day, NASCAR's Jimmie Johnson won his FIFTH consecutive cup. Atta Boy!

On a serious note, throughout the year I have had been working on an important and very quiet project. In January, I began my application for the Peace Corps. I will elaborate on the application process later but for now I will sum it up to this: after a year, I have received my invitation. This is VERY BIG NEWS for me. I have been selected to work in the field of education in Malawi, Africa, from June 2011-September 2013.

Malawi is a teeny tiny country in the southeastern region of Africa, and the Peace Corps assists there in 3 main areas: education, health, and environmental conservation. I am rapidly learning about the country and the roles of volunteers; there are only a few things I can say with any certainty, however: No, I would not have electricity. No, I would not have running water. Yes, the spiders are huge and yes, I remember that I am dangerously arachnophobic. Yes, the full contract is 27 months long. YES, you'd definitely be able to come visit (because I know you were wondering about that). Yes, I would be learning a Malawian language and using it to immerse myself into a community. No, I would certainly not have a toilet. Yes, I am excited and very happy with the location and position Peace Corps has chosen for me, and I feel so fortunate to have been honored with an invitation. If and when I officially accept the invitation, I will post more information.

So, goodbye to 2010 and hello to 2011. One brilliant year out, another potentially amazing one in. Please know even as I wander around and go in and out of contact with my friends and family, I feel infinitely grateful for your support, your love, and the important role you play in my life. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa, You're an incredible young woman, I'm so proud of you and I'm not even your mom!! Keep us posted.

monamoon said...

Wherever you wind up, they will be lucky to have you. You are making a mountain of rocking chair memories for us all. THANK YOU for sharing.

riverrat246 said...

Melissa,Your life is an awesome adventure.You go girl.Tell Sherry hi for me.
Phyllis Fournier